5 free smartphone apps every yogi should downloadby Christine Hennessey December 10, 2014 0 comments
At first glance, your yoga practice and your smartphone might seem like mortal enemies. After all, yoga is about turning off and tuning in, while smartphones have single-handedly destroyed out ability to live in the present moment. (That might be an exaggeration, but only slightly.) The truth is that your smartphone, just your yoga practice, can help you live a happier, more fulfilling life—it just depends on how you use it. We suggest starting with the following five free yoga smartphone apps. Each one can help you with an aspect of your journey, whether you’re on your mat or in the world.
- Daily Yoga Sometimes our lives are so busy that getting yourself to an actual yoga studio can be nearly impossible. That’s where Daily Yoga comes in. It offers over 40 yoga flows, for all levels of experience, and ranging in length from 10 minutes to 45. The app includes a library of over 300 poses, HD video, and voice instruction to guide you through your practice. It also has a social aspect, so you can connect and share inspiration with like-minded yogis.
- MINDBODY Connect For those looking to live a healthier and happier life, MINDBODY Connect is a great resource—especially if you travel for work or pleasure. It’s a fast and easy way to search for everything from local yoga classes to a spa experience, and you can even book and pay for them right from your phone. I love using it when visiting friends, since it makes it easy to keep up with my practice, even when I’m in a new place.
- Headspace Despite being aware of the many benefits of meditation, I have a hard time sitting down and actually doing it. Until I downloaded the Headspace app, that is. Not only does Headspace provide 10 minute guided meditations, it actually teaches you how to meditate through a free ten-day course. Once you complete all ten days, you can pay for access to hundreds of hours of original guided and unguided meditations, which range in length from two minutes to 60.
- Charity Miles Many of us don’t limit our exercise to yoga. Make the most of your time off the mat by donating to charity while you walk, run, and bike. Simply turn on the app, choose a charity, and press start. Your charity of choice will receive 10 cents for every mile you bike, and 25 cents for every mile you run or walk. It’s an easy way to rack up karma points and spread some love.
- Happier One of the most effective ways to live a happier life is to focus on what you have, rather than long for what you lack. This app helps you do just that by serving as an on-the-go gratitude journal to record your happy moments. It also offers tiny lessons to help you find the joy in your life, and it allows you to connect with other users and become part of a positive and supportive community.