Heaven help the health conscious yogi who can’t make a delicious hummus at home. Once you learn how to make your own, I guarantee that you will not be able to eat the store-bought kind again. Ok, I take that back. You will probably eat store bought hummus again. It is extremely convenient and a useful source of protein. However, I can say with confidence that you will become a hummus snob after trying the hummus recipe below.
I decided to master authentic homemade hummus after a trip to Israel, where I ate hummus for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In the Middle East, hummus is like heaven whip on a pita. I tried dozens of recipes. I ended up combining a few versions from the blogosphere and from Middle Eastern cuisine cookbooks. I now bring you my foolproof and go-to hummus recipe. I make it every Sunday night. You should, too!
The Best Hummus Recipe
Adapted from Jerusalem & Balaboosta
Yields approximately 4 cups
3 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup tahini (the runnier the better, I like the 365 brand at Whole Foods)
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp lemon juice, about 1 fully squeezed lemon
2 cloves garlic (well chopped),
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cumin
1) The night before hummus creation, soak 300 grams chickpeas, or at least 12 hours. Seriously, don’t skip this step! If you absolutely must, you may substitute 3 cans of chickpeas.
2) The day of hummus creation, drain your chickpeas and place in a heavy-bottom pot (do not add any water quite yet). Add 1 tsp baking soda and turn the heat on and up. Stir continuously for about 5 minutes. The baking soda should start to bubble a bit.
3) Add enough water so that the chickpeas are covered with one extra inch above.
4) Bring to a boil and reduce heat and cover, leaving the lid ajar. Cook for about 35 minutes, or until tender.
5) In a blender combine chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, 1/2 cup cold water, lemon juice, garlic (well chopped), sea salt and cumin. Blend for about 5 minutes, adding water by the tablespoon to make creamier if the mixture seems to thick.
6) Top with za’atar, paprika and/or evoo. Enjoy!!